Friday, March 15, 2013

Pemberton Senses A Change

Hello with much enthusiasm and a dash of jubilation albeit with a pinch of trepidation. That is to say, I report with mixed feelings regarding a distinct change in the weather.
Upon awakening earlier, just minutes ago really, to the smell of hummingbird and a hint of topsoil overturned, I ventured to the south window and observed the following: a hummingbird and overturned topsoil. Gads! It appears that I successfully napped through the entirety of a season.
I recall a brief episode around the end of December last involving a roast beef. It seems the thing had dispersed a smell that could awaken a badger from the dead. A glorious display of aromatic bliss that immediately put me on my feet with much determination and unbridled appetite! I was famished and immediately primed for the task ahead, no matter how arduous. Sad to say, it ended badly.
 I had little trouble upending the beast off the table - all it took was a well placed paw and the thing was mine!  At nose level is was utterly intoxicating; I swooned and lost my senses altogether. I dimly remember dragging the roast down the main hall before a rude confiscation occurred. It seems the help had other ideas for the meal... Oh well, I restrained myself and allowed them to carry on. I have a deep regard for the keepers of my house, so under the circumstances decided not to make an issue of it. I slept well that evening with the memory on my tongue, so all was not in vain.
Anyway, I appear to have swerved off track. It is the coming of Spring that has me at odds.  I will adjust in due course, but it does take an effort. One is rather thrown off by an abrupt and unannounced change such as this, and some contemplation will be required to make the transition. I am unprepared to simply step out into a foreign clime, teeming with little flying things and untrimmed grass. The smells this time of year are a gaggle of anarchy... Yes, better to let it settle down a bit rather than rush out prematurely. I have given it a chance through the window and found it not yet ideal, in fact I took one sniff through the open sash and inhaled a galaxy of ephemeral mayflys. They won't last the night, but I will still be here tomorrow afternoon when I will once again survey the progress of the season, this time with my nose to the glass. Goodnight and dream of beef!

No comments: