Friday, October 3, 2008

Bad Poetry Found In Book!

I pulled out an old book tonight, and a single sheet of note paper fell to the floor. I was horrified and elated to discover an attempt at topical poetry, written in my own hand. A few clues date it from the early Reagan era.

"I'm Not Buyin'"

I'm not buyin' car insurance, disco records, carpeted wall-to-wall split-level-condo
I'm not buyin' Reader's Digest, Dianetics, automatic room-deodorizer - Oh no
I'm not buyin' frozen meals, or your ideals, or any coupon-book of half-off two-for-one deals
When I'm relaxing at home and you call me on the phone
I know you're lyin' and you're tryin' - but I'm not buyin'!
I'm not buyin' a multi-color two-piece jogging suit
or a dog with a haircut you might think is cute
I'm not buyin' headlines meant to scare me
or 24-hour cable access meant to bore me
The government is tryin', the Virgin Mary's cryin'
Business is good, actin' like we should
We're the best, so screw the rest
Just say no... why ask why... 'cause I won't buy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who says it's *bad* poetry?! Pas moi!